We have completed a number of restorations of historic narrowboats in recent years, the articles below detail some of the work that have been completed by South Island Marina.

Holland was originally built as an unpowered horse boat by the canal carrier’s Fellows Morton & Clayton at their Saltley boatyard in 1905. In 1937 she was converted to a conventional motor boat by W.J.Yarwoods & Sons who removed the horse drawn stern and replaced this with a motors counter. Holland subsequently went to work for British Waterways north western division upon nationalisation, she fell into disuse and was restored as trip boat by Malcolm Braine at Norton Canes for the Lee Valley Narrowboat Company and subsequently went to work for Jasons Trip Boats in London. Upon retirement from commercial tripping she was bought in a dilapidated state by Ian and Tina Tyler who undertook the restoration back to working trim.

Clover was built in 1935 for the canal carriers Fellows, Morton & Clayton by W.J.Yarwoods & Son and cabined by FMC themselves at their Uxbridge dock. Clover was acquired by Michael Pinnock in April 2006.  With the hull in good order, the inside and outside of the cabin were repainted, the running gear was restored by Michael and a full new set of cloths were fitted, a Bolinder 1053 coldstart engine was rebuilt and installed by John Pattle.

Emu was originally built in 1926 by W.J.Yarwoods & Sons for the canal carriers Fellows, Morton & Clayton. It was cabined by FMC themselves at their Saltley boatyard. Upon nationalisation it entered the British Waterways fleet but they never operated it due to being in bad condition. The canal carriers Willow Wren acquired the boat and had it repaired to trading condition and was renamed tern. It passed to Willow Wren hire cruisers and was operated as a camping boat for many years; the boat was converted sometime in the late 70’s. Michael Pinnock bought Emu in July 2009, the boat requiring full restoration. Emu was towed back from Rickmansworth to South Island Marina in July 2009 where the boat was de-converted and rotten backcabin and engine room removed, the boat was then lifted out at the yard to accesses the hull condition. The boat required major hull work so was sent away by road to have a new bottom and footings and new back cabin and engine room.

Fazeley was originally built in 1921 by Fellows, Morton & Clayton at their Saltley boatyard. Fazeley was originally to be built as a motorboat, but due to a shortage of Bolinder engines was finished as an unpowered horse boat. Fazeley was acquired by Michael Pinnock in March 2008 in a dilapidated condition, over the next year the wooden cabins were re-skinned and fibre glassed and new wooden panels fitted.