France was originally built, as a horse boat, by the canal carriers Fellows Morton & Clayton at their Saltley boatyard in 1904. In 1937 she was converted to a conventional motorboat by W.J.Yarwoods & Sons which removed the original horse drawn back end and put a motors counter on. France then went on to work for Claytons of Oldbury and Leonard Leigh.

France was brought to South Island Marina in September 2011 for a full traditional boatmans cabin fit out and complete set of running gear including a new set of hardwearing PVC cloths. The cabin was also traditionally scumbled while at the yard and the interior of the engine room and back cabin painted.